* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Highscores/Leaderboards - Highly Detailed Concept  (Read 12526 times)

Offline Torsacmage

• New Trainer
  • nothing to see here...
    • View Profile
Re: Highscores/Leaderboards - Keeping the Players Playing
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:24 am »
you know having an 'aura' around your body as a reward would be really awesome. it would encourage heaps of people to catch those last few pokemon if they're nearly there and is kinda like the light at the end of the loooong tunnel  ::)

but i'm curious about one thing, how would the pvp highscores work? like how would we know whos the best?

anywho, great thread btw, loved the read

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
Re: Highscores/Leaderboards - Keeping the Players Playing
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »
you know having an 'aura' around your body as a reward would be really awesome. it would encourage heaps of people to catch those last few pokemon if they're nearly there and is kinda like the light at the end of the loooong tunnel  ::)

but i'm curious about one thing, how would the pvp highscores work? like how would we know whos the best?

anywho, great thread btw, loved the read

There are many options to make Highscores for Player vs Player matches, but the most basic would probably be how many matches have you won. That's the most basic one that comes to mind when you think of MMORPG Highscores. That being said, I don't think Challenges should be recorded or if they are, record them in a different tier. What I mean by that is this: Have a tier for PvP matches won, and a tier for Challenges Won. The Challenges can be issued anywhere but the PvP matches can only be issued in Arenas or other official places. If you wish to get into a PvP match, sign up at the Arena Registration Desk, which will pair you up randomly (maybe even based on your PvP Highscore, so that you mainly fight people of your level). This would make the PvP matches the official PvP ranking in the game, since it's not really possible to get a friend to lose on purpose for you just so you can advance in Rank. On the other hand, Challenges are just for fun so there is no problem with doing what you want, but you won't gain Fame from having the most Challenges won.

This not only would prevent people from trying to use underhanded methods to gain Ranks, but also makes sense. At a tournament the wins and losses are registered by judges etc., while during a Challenge in the mountains, the most likely case is that people would have to trust your word for the win. Also having the PvP matches be the official Ranking where you gain Fame would also make sense since in reality they would be broadcasted and made a big deal out of.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Torsacmage

• New Trainer
  • nothing to see here...
    • View Profile
Re: Highscores/Leaderboards - Highly Detailed Concept
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »
Have a tier for PvP matches won, and a tier for Challenges Won. The Challenges can be issued anywhere but the PvP matches can only be issued in Arenas or other official places.
Ah nice that's a really good system. Maybe there shouldn't even be a leaderboard for challenges in general, because if you're going to be ranked, the rank should come via some sort of legitimate means.

Offline Vaderico

• Beginning Trainer
  • thAt's all
    • View Profile
Re: Highscores/Leaderboards - Highly Detailed Concept
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »
There are many options to make Highscores for Player vs Player matches, but the most basic would probably be how many matches have you won. That's the most basic one that comes to mind when you think of MMORPG Highscores. That being said, I don't think Challenges should be recorded or if they are, record them in a different tier. What I mean by that is this: Have a tier for PvP matches won, and a tier for Challenges Won. The Challenges can be issued anywhere but the PvP matches can only be issued in Arenas or other official places. If you wish to get into a PvP match, sign up at the Arena Registration Desk, which will pair you up randomly (maybe even based on your PvP Highscore, so that you mainly fight people of your level). This would make the PvP matches the official PvP ranking in the game, since it's not really possible to get a friend to lose on purpose for you just so you can advance in Rank. On the other hand, Challenges are just for fun so there is no problem with doing what you want, but you won't gain Fame from having the most Challenges won.

hey i was going to post an answer to this but it became so long that I created a new thread :P
its here if you want to read
http://pokemon-universe.com/index.php/topic,4284.msg104461/topicseen.html#new