* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Un-Cheap Rare Candy  (Read 12576 times)

Offline BlazingApollo

• Beginning Trainer
  • (-__-")
    • View Profile
    • BlazingApollo's Blog (In Indonesian)
Un-Cheap Rare Candy
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
"Rare candy, a random candy that can level up a Pokemon by just eating it".
Yup, like we all know that RC is a bit cheap, often abused by some people, even if it's hard to find/obtain, it still doesn't make sense.

After all, how can a candy make you stronger? (except it's drugs :o )

Ah yes, my suggestion for this thing:

- Don't make Rare Candy level up a Pokemon instantly.
- Rare Candy will only give a Pokemon an XP boost (like 100XP, 1500XP, 3500XP, 10000XP, etc).
- Rare Candy can be obtained through missions or quests, or buying it from a special person, (the PokeMart selling RC seems a bit weird, right?), mixing berries, etc.
- Turn Rare Candy to something more... legit (like medicine, gemstone, magic powder, or somethhing that doesn't make you think they're drugs).
- Give some side effects of using some types of RC (lowers EVs or stats, lowering Pokemon happiness, etc).
- And for the storyline, I think it would be better that the evil organization is creating and smuggling illegal RC, medicines, or something that can control Pokemon and make them obey the evil organization, your job is to stop their actions and find a cure for the infected Pokemon.
- Run out of ideas here (-__-")

Anyway, that's all it is, and I hope you agree with me 8)

Final Examination is coming faster than I thought D:

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Un-Cheap Rare Candy
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Not totally as rare candies do not really benefit a pokemon besides raising is happiness (that's what makes it level up, or so is the reason behind the rare candy it seems) and its level. EV (or EP) are not raised that way. But sure, they could be turned into an EXP giving item rather than leveling up item.

And tbh, I'd rather have the rare candy un-tradable, un-equipable and have a really low market price, 1 poke maybe. Prevents abuse of collecting rare candies, and trading and the user is already at a loss as compared to another who's doing real training.

Only issue, is that the EV (or EP) system is yet to be confirmed from the balance team...

As for the black market and fake rare candies, yea, why not. Could do something about it.

Those are my 2 cents.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
Yup, like we all know that RC is a bit cheap, often abused by some people, even if it's hard to find/obtain, it still doesn't make sense.

- Rare Candy will only give a Pokemon an XP boost (like 100XP, 1500XP, 3500XP, 10000XP, etc).
- Rare Candy can be obtained through missions or quests, or buying it from a special person, (the PokeMart selling RC seems a bit weird, right?), mixing berries, etc.
- Turn Rare Candy to something more... legit (like medicine, gemstone, magic powder, or somethhing that doesn't make you think they're drugs).
- Give some side effects of using some types of RC (lowers EVs or stats, lowering Pokemon happiness, etc).
- And for the storyline, I think it would be better that the evil organization is creating and smuggling illegal RC, medicines, or something that can control Pokemon and make them obey the evil organization, your job is to stop their actions and find a cure for the infected Pokemon.

In the actual games.  Rare Candy is the worst item ever.  When you use them your pokemon does not gain EVs.  Leaving your team a lot weaker than players who did not use them. 

Offline BlazingApollo

• Beginning Trainer
  • (-__-")
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »

In the actual games.  Rare Candy is the worst item ever.  When you use them your pokemon does not gain EVs.  Leaving your team a lot weaker than players who did not use them.

Uh, yeah, forget about that fact... (-__-")
Anyway, that's because their only purpose in the actual games are to make Pokemon level up, to know if they will evolve or not, learn a move or not, etc.
So, I guess an XP boost would be better, once leveled up, it would be like a normal leveling up.
Btw, do they have picked up the organization name and the real villain for PU?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »
Yes and it'll be secret until the game comes out.

And no don't ask me, I won't let the secret out.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline BlazingApollo

• Beginning Trainer
  • (-__-")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Yes and it'll be secret until the game comes out.

And no don't ask me, I won't let the secret out.

Well, that's fine.
I hope it has an awesome twist...

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
I usually save the rare candies for the last few level-ups to make these go faster and only on pokemon that still need a lot of EXP to level up since it just elevates it to the next level and start from the beginning. Most people use rare candies up to four times to compare IV's with the level 1 pokémon they just hatched.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
Not a fan of the Rare candy, don't really use it in the games, in fact, if I do come across it randomly, I just toss it. But I like the idea of an exp boosting item, giving a small amount of free exp.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I EV train first, then use any Rare Candies that I may have.

I read somewhere (pretty sure it was a pokemon web-comic) that Rare Candies make pokemon gain a level because they have a very rare mineral in them called Pokezyme or something like that. Pokezyme is a substance that replicates Monozymes which are excreted into a pokemon's blood from its organs when it levels up. Hence, a Rare Candy tricks the pokemon into thinking that it leveled up (this is why it gains no EVS, because the level gained is not real or synthetic).

In other words, they're like steroids...filled with sugar. :D

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline KaminaEXE

• Normal Trainer
  • In my hands the means. In my heart the will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:17:31 PM »

While this is true affer you get their ev's maxed out it doesnt matter, you can just use rare candys all you want.
Who the hell do you think i am!!!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 06:38:36 AM »
I EV train first, then use any Rare Candies that I may have.

I read somewhere (pretty sure it was a pokemon web-comic) that Rare Candies make pokemon gain a level because they have a very rare mineral in them called Pokezyme or something like that. Pokezyme is a substance that replicates Monozymes which are excreted into a pokemon's blood from its organs when it levels up. Hence, a Rare Candy tricks the pokemon into thinking that it leveled up (this is why it gains no EVS, because the level gained is not real or synthetic).

In other words, they're like steroids...filled with sugar. :D

Lol, the fans used those terms? It's like they are trying to make it complicated while it could directly be said that the rare candies have pokezymes in them and that is the substance that pokemon have in their system to trigger level up XD

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
Lol I guess they really just wanted to make it complicated xD

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
Rare candies aren't a bad thing, they're good because you can just max out the Evs on a pokemon then level them up with out having to go through the effort of battling many pokemon to make a competitive team.
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline TerryE

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 03:25:21 AM »
sounds good to me, making rare candies rare and whatnot
just wish i knew what all these acronyms stand for :[
Quality is ALWAYS better than quantity. ALWAYS

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »
EV [Effort Values] or EP [Effort Points] are numbers that pokemon obtain which will determine their stats. If you want more detail, you can look on the net. Serebii, bulbapedia and so on all have detailed articles about them.